With Halloween just around the corner, our minds are on all things spooky this month―from ghosts and goblins, to witches and… websites? Yes, it’s true. An outdated or unprofessional website design can have a frightening effect on your clicks and conversions. That’s why we’re putting a twist on this week’s blog post and sharing six surefire ways to scare people away from your business website:
- Bury your contact information or the business location deep on your website. (Or, don’t include it at all.) People don’t need to know where they’re buying from or whom they’re trusting anyway, right?
- Include plenty of low-quality graphics and impersonal stock photos. Even better, have an outdated Flash intro page that’s distracting or doesn’t load properly.
- Make visitors wait at least five seconds for your website to load. (Doesn’t sound that long? According to this Kissmetrics article, most web users expect a site to load in less than two seconds!)
- Don’t organize your content into manageable sections or include a handy navigation menu. You wouldn’t want to make it too easy for people to find what they’re looking for.
- Overwhelm visitors with lots of text in long paragraphs―everyone loves scrolling until their fingers cramp up! Bonus points if the text is small or hard to read against the background color.
- Make sure you’re one of the estimated 91% of small businesses that doesn’t have a Responsive Web Design (which takes into consideration the device on which your website is being viewed). In other words, pay no attention to the fact that the number of mobile users accessing the internet has surpassed the number of desktop users. Or the fact that responsive design is Google’s #1 recommended design pattern and can actually improve your search rankings.
In all seriousness, your Halloween costume should be hair-raising―not your website! If you need help transforming your site from scary to stunning, give us a call and let’s talk about how to make that happen.