Most entrepreneurs are so busy trying to keep up with the demands of daily customer needs, worrying about marketing and updating a Website often feels like the least important task that needs to happen. The truth is, your Website is the backbone – your foundation – for getting new business. Your face-to-face session might be what seals the deal, but you have to make sure your foundation is holding all the current pieces together while maintaining stability for future growth.
Also, keep in mind that throwing a Website up and not touching it again for two years, is not really a good option either. You need to be checking your Website and making sure it works (that customers are visiting your site and finding what they need). If it’s not working, you need to spend time getting it right (or at least find someone who will).
If you are not finding the time to update your Website or track your visitors, here are some things to consider:
· What platform are you using? Some platforms can be tedious for non-tech savvy people to use. If you think your site is just too difficult to update, consider talking to us about what it would take to get your Website into an easier platform like WordPress. If all your content is usable and working well for your customers, it might not cost as much (or take as much time) as you think. The time-saving payoffs could be a great return in the end.
· Do you have an employee that you could assign this task to? If you are faster at sketching out your Website updates on a piece of paper and handing them off, do it! You might have some young techy on your staff who can make Web updates in the time it can take you to turn a computer on. Don’t be ashamed, just use the resource.
· Is it hard to remember to go out and track your Web stats? Google Analytics can track how useful your Website actually is by measuring a variety of stats. It will even run reports and email you numbers on a routine basis so it’s like having someone send you reports when you need them. If it comes straight to your inbox, it’s a little harder to ignore!
When planning a special campaign, make sure your Website is updated accordingly. Many businesses will throw out some fliers or mail postcards that boast a special for new customers. When the recipient of those materials receives the marketing piece, (if they have an interest) the first thing they do is turn to the Internet! There is nothing more frustrating than going to a Website to learn more about deal and not being able to find anything. Make sure to integrate your marketing and use your Website for everything it should be. This accomplishes several things:
1. It will allow you to create a more attractive marketing piece! Rather than junking it up with 20,000 words on a 4” x 6” postcard, you can actually take advantage of white space and people might pay more attention to what you have to say – there is something to be said for aesthetics. Tease customers with only the information you need to get them to your Website.
2. Use the space of your Website to further explain the special offer. Just make sure the special offer information is accessible from your home page and easy to find!
3. By getting people to visit your Website, you can cross-pollinate them with information! They may not end up being interested in whatever special you are offering, but they might find something else of interest on your Website…something that you would not have had space to mention on the postcard.
It’s been our experience that most people who feel investing in their Website is unnecessary also think the costs are astronomical. We’re here to tell you today’s technology makes it more affordable than you think. If you’re on the fence, call us for more information.