Our list of top 10 marketing tips is rather short and sweet today, but the importance of this list comes from the fact that all these pieces work in unison – they round out and complete our daily mission to educate and entertain people with our knowledge. By only following nine of these 10 tips, it feels like our marketing presence starts to fall apart. If you don’t have all 10 of these going on right now, that’s ok. Start to add one piece in at a time. And once you’ve achieved all 10, it’s important to keep each one running!
1. Know your customer. Try connecting with and talking to a few of your customers. Find out more about them. This will help you to develop ideal customer user journeys when writing your marketing plan and putting together any advertising components.
2. Have a well-rounded marketing plan. We can’t really stress enough how important it is to have a plan and to stick with it. Keep that plan handy. Refer back to it at least once per week to make sure each action you’re taking is following suit with your original goals.
3. Produce and design really good content. Whether you’re sending out a newsletter, e-mail, blog posts, social media posts, etc., make sure that the information you’re sharing is relevant. Don’t just send out a newsletter because it’s been three months and you feel like you have to. Give your content purpose and people will start to look forward to what you have to say. In addition, take the time to “design” your content or hire a designer to help you if your not the “designing kind.” Don’t just stick some words in an email and send. Give your content the pizzazz it deserves. While “content might be king,” it’s the design that gets people in to see the king.
4. Do not discount PR and community work. We know you’re probably not a fan of giving your work away for free. Trust us, we aren’t either, however, if that’s what gets our foot in the door to meet and greet with prospective customers, we’ll try it. But one thing we do recommend is to always submit an invoice that shows how much you would have charged and what the discount was. This just helps people to understand how much you put into something and they will value your work.
5. Have AWESOME business cards. All we can say about this one is, don’t just throw your name on 2″x3″ business card and call it good. You need to have a card that people want to touch, look at, and will remember.
6. Partner with local businesses that make sense. Do you bake wedding cakes? Partner with a bridal shop. Do you offer dry cleaning services? Partner with a seamstress. Do you sell flowers? Partner with a sweet shop. Do you see where we’re going with this? Partnering with those businesses that make sense will help both of you to boost your visibility in your community.
7. Apply for local awards and recognition. Whether it’s the Wichita Business Journal, the Wichita Chamber of Commerce, or the Wichita Independent Business Association, there are often awards that you or your business can qualify for. Whether big or small awards, it doesn’t matter. What does matter is that this is one more FREE way of getting your brand in front of many others.
8. Promote yourself. This is hard for a lot of people, but it’s a “must-do” on this list. Just like we mentioned with the awards, sometimes you just have to jump in there and apply or nominate yourself. You won’t always have someone else to do it for you so get comfortable with being a self promoter, and learn how to do it in a way that you’re not taking over conversations and making everything all about you.
9. Become a professional networker. A lot of people THINK they know how to network, but in reality, they’re just making people crazy. Look for opportunities to tie your business into a conversation – whether it’s a learning moment or an entertaining moment, sneak your self promotion in through a back way rather than leading with, “Hi, I’m Tom, and I own the biggest and most popular shoe store in all of Kansas.”
10. Stay positive. Remember that these things don’t all happen over night. You have to be patient and wait for some of these pieces to come to you. Stay positive and it will…because the harder you work, the more luck you’ll have. And luck doesn’t come to cranky people.